The Communications Manager serves as the staff editor of AAEM’s social media sites and content to optimize the user experience and properly communicate AAEM’s messaging and brand. Also responsible for assisting with the implementation of the annual marketing plan and daily communications tasks.
· Manage all aspects of the AAEM social media assuring quality of content, maintain the editorial calendar, and generate statistical reports. This includes Facebook pages, Twitter accounts, blogs, and other social media.
· Develop and manage social media content to keep information accurate, relevant and innovative (scientific and non-scientific in nature) with the assistance of AAEM staff, volunteer content experts or committee members as appropriate.
· In collaboration with the Senior Communications Manager, implement AAEM’s annual marketing plan including determining appropriate target audiences, objectives and desired outcomes and manage creation of promotional materials.
· Schedule, record audio, edit, and publish the AAEM podcast series. Create new RSS feeds as needed.
· Assist in the creation, design and scheduling of HTML messages.
· Assist with website editing and updates using the content management system.
· Host online discussions on topics of interest (i.e., Google Hangout) that can be recorded for later distribution.
· Carry out daily editorial functions for AAEM including copy editing.
· Create monthly JEM pages and send for approval.
· In conjunction with the Senior Communications Manager, seek out opportunities to promote AAEM’s educational content and position AAEM as a leader in the field of emergency medicine.
· Serve as staff liaison to committees and chapter divisions as assigned. This includes taking meeting minutes and distributing them to the committee chair, board liaison and committee members, and assisting with projects and tasks.
· Other duties as assigned.
AMOUNT OF TRAVEL REQUIRED: 1-2 weeks per year. Some weekend and evening work may be required.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Excellent written and oral communication skills with exceptional interpersonal skills. Attention to detail and accuracy. Advanced computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office, email software, and Web browsers. Knowledge of medical, scientific and research terminology, and scientific literature searches is preferred. Excellent proofreading skills and prior video/audio editing are preferable. Strong organizational and planning skills. Ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous tasks and project timelines and demonstrated abilities to meet multiple deadlines. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Frequent physical demands include: communication by seeing, talking, listening and writing; sitting; standing; walking; and using keyboard for word processing needs. Equipment typically utilized frequently includes computer, telephone, copier, fax, printer, and calculator.