2. Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Overall coordination will be done by the Director of Business Development based in NY. The contractor must provide all agreed upon deliverables according to a work-plan that will be developed the first month of work. The Director of Business Development shall be responsible for the approval of all deliverables as stipulated in this Terms of Reference.
3. Essential Tasks
a. Systems and Knowledge Management (internal communications):
* Support record keeping efforts of UMCOR’s past completed projects and current projects.
* Support reporting of updates of current projects to UMCOR partners
* Mine current tools and resources to identify key core resources (and gaps in resources) for staff in the field to support their proposal development efforts, working with other UMCOR HQ staff.
* Support the implementation/updating of internal communication tools for HQ staff
* Support PMs/field to Update/Draft Donor and Partner Maps to understand their country’s donor funding environment and context
* Conduct a partner/Donor map of New York city of valuable partnerships with other major INGOs
* When necessary, support UMCOR BD by participating in off-site development meetings in New York
* Keep on track of donor developments through subscriptions to listserves, RSS feeds and communications with COs
c. Proposal Development
* Identify and track public opportunities for Country Offices in Africa and HQ staff to analyze, communicating with staff regularly.
* Concentrate on familiarizing with at least one country and one donor or as assigned by the director – country context, donor guidelines. Support staff as they pursue opportunities in this area.
* Support proposal review with compliance checks of required elements of a proposal package, supporting/facilitating meeting deliverables and the general flow of proposal development.
d. Marketing Results (external communications)
* Support with After Action Reviews following submission of proposals or use of a consultant.
* Coordinate with staff to collect information, develop, and package written marketing materials for County Offices, Sector Briefs, and Disaster Response for external audiences, using existing resources as guidance and updating as necessary.
* Liaise with Communications department to provide up to date information on Country Office programs
* Liaise with UMCOT staff to support other processes to capture learning from current projects
* Bachelors’ degree/Master’s preferred in Development or related field;
* At least 1 year of field experience with INGOs or NNGOs in the development context; experience living/working abroad
* Fluency (written and spoken) in English; French is an advantage.
* Previous grant writing and fundraising experience
* Excellent writing, communication, organizational, and time management skills – adhering to deadlines and across multiple time zones.
* Familiarity with African development context, needs, and governance structures.
* Experience working on operational budgeting and project design (knowledge/competency of monitoring & evaluation concepts, budgeting) for donors.
* Demonstrable understanding of Sphere Standards and the UN humanitarian community
* Very good computer (Word/Excel) and internet skills
* A team player with good interpersonal and team building skills.