Illinois Public Media
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois Public Media seeks a full-time Digital Integration Manager to develop and manage IPM’s digital and online presence, services, and support, including technology systems, editorial direction, content management and archiving, web sites and mobile applications, social media, training, and operations.
Our ideal candidate is creative and collaborative – an innovator and problem solver who loves building, testing, and implementing online media applications and other initiatives, while also showing others how those tools can be used effectively in their work. This ideal candidate also has a healthy respect for more traditional technologies, and is eager to integrate the old with the new, bringing colleagues along and encouraging innovation from unexpected parts of the organization.
The projects for which your skills will be integral include, but are not limited to:
Journalists from throughout the state of Illinois on a new-model regional journalism collaborative;
A recently-launched talk show that is shaped by data, metrics, and social media conversation;
A burgeoning podcasting portfolio based on our relationships with our home at the University of Illinois.
Of course, all of this will be knit together by a strong online presence, which this position will play a lead role in building and maintaining.
Major Duties and Responsibilities :
1. Plans and implements digital media and online services for IPM, including web sites, streaming and on-demand media, RSS feeds, podcasts, and mobile apps, including technology, design, content, social media, digital storytelling, and editorial policy.
2. Coordinates with managers and staff in News and Public Affairs, Development, Marketing, Engineering, Operations, and Community Engagement to develop and implement cross-platform content strategies and audience engagement.
3. Provides training, documentation, and support for all IPM staff producing digital media and online content.
4. Provides support for public users of IPM’s web services and online media.
5. Integrates IPM’s online media, web sites, and Internet services, with in-house and external digital infrastructure, including production, storage, staging, publishing, cataloging, and archival systems.
6. Coordinates content, branding, and business strategies with national networks and partners including PBS, NPR, PRI, the Public Media Platform, and other public media stations and organizations.
7. Participates in digital content strategic planning, coordination, and budgeting.
8. Participates in on-air fundraising, community outreach projects and marketing activities on behalf of Illinois Public Media.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications :
1. Bachelor’s degree in computer science, journalism, communications, or related field.
2. Two years of demonstrated experience working with Wordpress, Core Publisher, Expression Engine, or other content management systems.
4. Two years experience in customizing systems based on languages such as PHP or Python and databases like MySQL.
5. Understanding of the web design process from conception through creation to delivery.
6. Basic skills creating and editing digital images, audio, and video for the web using tools like Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, and Premier.
7. Demonstrated ability to translate organizational goals and individual needs into technical tasks and projects.
8. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in speaking and writing.
9. Demonstrated ability to work with peers and colleagues inside and outside of a defined team.
10. Ability to rapidly learn new skills as Internet technologies, protocols, and tools evolve.
Preferred Qualifications :
1. Two years of experience with managing a CMS workflow that includes digital media.
2. Two years of experience developing web presence, design, and content.
3. Two years of experience with the technical aspects of social media including APIs and integrations.
4. Knowledge of responsive website frameworks, and the requirements of mobile-friendly website development.
5. Understanding of online security and how to maintain secure web applications.
6. Digital media protocols, standards, and formats, and hardware and software systems needed to produce, edit, encode, stream, and manage digital audio and video.
7. Excellent writing, compositional skills, and editorial judgment for audiovisual materials, print, and the web.
Application Procedures :
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by January 6, 2017. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Annetta Allison (217) 265-7648 or email@example.com.
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.