MLive.com seeks a lead political reporter who will cover Michigan and national politics for the state’s largest news website. The Lansing-based position will involve intensive coverage of the state Capitol, and national politics as they relates to Michigan, in a highly competitive environment. The right candidate is someone who thrives on big stories, demands to be at the center of the action but loathes following the journalistic pack. This reporter will also be able to tell the story beyond the legislative process, and relay how it effects Michigan’s 9.9 million people. MLive is a highly innovative, digital news organization where experimentation and flexibility are a must. We are paving the way for the future of digital news, yet we are grounded in the ethics of solid journalism. This position is one of a dozen on MLive’s Impact Team that is charged with doing investigative and explanatory stories for all of Michigan.
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
- Significant journalism experience relevant to open position with a proven ability in reporting and writing required
- Demonstrated writing ability under deadline situations, plus significant experience working independently and remotely
- Significant experience with/working knowledge of audience interactive techniques
- Advanced understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated experience with digital reporting and presentation techniques
- Experience with search engine optimization practices
- Experience with using social media to source and promote content a plus
- Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- Advanced understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms such as Moveable Type CMS, SCC Budgeting and Archiving System, Smartphones
- Advanced understanding and knowledge of web publishing and social media platforms
- Proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
Duties and Responsibilities:
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
Extensive computer use required. Some travel required. Ability to work flexible work schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
MLive Media Group is an audience-first, digitally focused media company encompassing all content, sales and marketing operations for: MLive.com, The Grand Rapids Press, The Muskegon Chronicle, Kalamazoo Gazette, The Jackson Citizen Patriot, The Ann Arbor News, The Flint Journal, The Saginaw News, The Bay City Times and the Advance Weeklies in Grand Rapids, as well as several related entities. In addition to being Michigan’s #1 news and information provider, MLive Media Group is Michigan’s largest local media advertising network, allowing advertisers to reach local audiences in communities across the state.
MLive Media Group is a part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the U.S. reaching more than 40 million consumers through its 12 local news and information websites that rank #1 among local media in their respective markets, and more than 30 newspapers. Our affiliated websites and newspapers are well known for their award-winning journalism. Advance Local is part of Advance Publications, along with Condé Nast and American City Business Journals.
MLive Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.