Non-Unit Professional Position
Leads the college in the development and management of our campus portal system, other integrated components and ancillary systems. Works closely with our marketing department, academic component and system teams, to develop on-going site structure, integration, content management and direction. Updates/manages the campus portal with user, departmental, or team-generated content.
Oversees and coordinates the maintenance and production of new as well as current content and services offered through the campus portal. Analyzes complex requests, needs and requirements, to develop or recommend solutions that are appropriate for our enterprise, producing high-quality work in a timely manner. Develops or assists in the development of portal related policies and guidelines; keep the institution appraised of developments in the field and seek out new marketing public/relations opportunities in this medium. Develops and executes concepts; provides conceptual direction and design support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Build, design and update the college Campus Portal which serves as central hub for online services and information.
2. Develop consistent and user friendly navigation and content to ensure information is easy to locate and has a unified brand ensuring the accuracy of information and timeliness.
3. Works with various college teams (Marketing, committees and site maintainers) to develop new services, informational resources, events and promotions within the campus portal.
4. Train and assist users to use campus portal content management tools, blog resources, listservs, other web products/tools used by the department etc.
5. Run or assist in performing regular maintenance and patching of backend servers that support our portal and online presence.
6. Assist the Internet Architect / Sr. Web Developer, other IS team members, academic component, and the marketing department to prioritize requests and determine feasibility.
7. Work with Marketing and other departments to ensure uniformity and work distribution for the mobile web site and mobile application(s).
8. Web traffic analysis, incorporate tools like google analytics, monitor logs and provide monthly summary reports. Use collected data to validate the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of various web services and recommend modifications that may address findings
9. Researches and resolves issues as assigned, while escalating issues that cannot be resolved. This would include opening tickets with vendor supplied products and follow up as necessary to resolve them.
10. Perform SSL certificate updates and manage annual web subscription services, domain name registrations, renewals, etc.
11. Work with governance planning committees to facilitate strategies and provide technical counsel for future portal and communication related initiatives.
12. Stay abreast of industry trends and all applicable technologies, including scripting, security issues, authoring tools, graphic design tools, and new languages.
13. Participates on college committee and teams..
14. Provide budget recommendations to the Internet Architect / Sr. Web Developer.
15. Ability to work on a different types of projects that vary in complexities and size and be able to meet deadlines.
16. Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Internet Architect / Sr. Web Developer
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience working on web and portal systems or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in Higher Education preferred.
Experience working in a portal environment (Preferably Ellucian Luminis Portal).
Experience and understanding of all aspects of web design, usability, templates, navigation, color schemes and manipulation of graphic images.
Ability to hand code HTML and CSS.
Demonstrated understanding of usability principals and navigation web design as well as accessibility issues including ADA compliance.
Demonstrated experience with developing, deploying and maintaining large enterprise wide solutions. Experience with web site content management systems highly desirable.
Understanding of new web trends like responsive web design, mobile web, HTML5 features and the ability to incorporate them in the work as required.
Demonstrated ability to work on Linux platform.
Demonstrated experience with a variety of rich media formats with the ability to prepare media for web deployment.
Demonstrated understanding of how the web and underlying technologies, databases, and front end interfaces interact and integrate.
Preferred familiarity with JSP and Java.
Preferred experience working with Databases like Oracle and MySql and writing SQL statements.
Preferred experience working with Tomcat and Apache servers.
Preferred familiarity with WordPress.
Familiarity with web 2.0 concepts, blogs, wikis, RSS feeds.
Candidate must possess the ability to independently research on technical issues.
Candidate must possess effective written and oral communication skills and be able to write for the web and work under deadlines.
Successful experience interacting with culturally diverse populations.
$60,000 to $70,000 per year plus fringe benefits. Salary commensurate with education and experience.
STARTING DATE: ASAP
North Shore Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.