Siemens Building Technologies is seeking a Commercial Project Manager (CPM) / Project Controller to be responsible for commercial aspects related to customer contracts—from the sales phase to execution to project completion. Responsibilities encompass sales controlling, performance measurement, planning, forecasting, and reporting. The CPM is supporting the General Project Manager in all other areas where a takeover of responsibilities is decided and/or a useful contribution.
The CPM will partner with Customers, Suppliers, Project Managers/ Engineers, Sales, Procurement, Legal, other Commercial Project Managers, regional and national Finance colleagues, and internal and external Auditors-as well as the Siemens Financial Services Division (the Siemens entity that offers financing solutions to clients).
This role can be based in one of these branches in our Pacific Zone: Cypress (Los Angeles), Hayward (San Francisco), San Diego, West Sacramento CA; Beaverton (Portland) OR; Bellevue (Seattle) WA.
At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams, and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have more than 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard.
Do you want to work for a company with innovating technologies that make the world a better place? Can you see yourself learning, growing, and succeeding in this opportunity? If so, then we’d like to meet you!
- Ensure compliance with Levels of Authority approval guidelines for commercial aspects, e.g. risk management process.
- Ensure quality of all commercial and administrational project policies per Siemens guidelines.
- Ensure an adequate handover phase, analyze customer requirements, and examine their commercial and contractual feasibility and transferability.
- Ensure proper financial project set-up including work breakdown structure (WBS) in line with agreed project budget and company internal contractual arrangements.
- Support the Project Manager in managing and optimizing targeted financial results with due professional care (e.g. project gross profit, cash flow, assets, and financing instruments).
- Perform financial planning, forecasting, controlling, reconciliation of project cash flow, and constant deviation analysis. Ensure data integrity between SAP back-end and specific front-end tools in SI RSS: PMCT).
- Set up financial performance plan for the project based on the planned delivery schedule for the offered scope during the sales phase and manage it throughout the project execution phase.
- Set up and closely monitor revenue recognition: actual vs plan, degree of completion, cost to complete, total forecasted costs vs planned. Ensure full compliance of revenue and cost recognition with Siemens accounting policies under US-GAAP / IFRS, as well as overall compliance with internal controls, like export control, signature authorities.
- Support the responsible Project Manager on change management issues (variations) relating to the scope of the project. Obtain verification and approval of variations prior to submittal to the customer ensuring appropriate costing and pricing in accordance with PM@Siemens Guidelines.
- Support the Project Manager in identifying, evaluating, and assessing risks & opportunities, strategies, and response activities. Constantly assess risks& opportunities and their impact either in the risk register and/or in the gross margin while proposing measures to prevent negative margin slippage due to risks that could have been avoided.
- Implement and drive measures together with the Project Manager to leverage opportunities to improve the project performance, e.g. through claims and variation management. Support Project Manager to ensure Project Quality based on Siemens guidelines and achievement of project goals.
- Support Project Manager in the timely issuing of invoices with a strong focus on managing Account Receivables and project cash flow.
- Drive Procurement together with the Project Manager by involving the responsible purchasing representative to ensure that the purchase orders are based on the best available bids and are within the set budget.
- Ensure consistent terms and conditions with suppliers/subcontractors in line with the end-customer contract.
- Coordinate other contractual requirements (e.g., performance guarantees, insurances, taxes, sureties) to achieve contract commitments.
- Actively communicate with customers’ commercial representatives and manage resolution of commercial issues.
- Influence team to take positive action and assume accountability for assigned work.
- Regularly perform lessons-learned activities on commercial aspects and feed results into own project lessons-learned activities and into own organization.
- Drive interpersonal relationships, foster effective communication, and manage conflicts.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Required education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field.
- Required travel: 35%
- Required experience: Professional experience in the financial management of complex projects (e.g. Project Coordinator, Contract Administrator, or other similar position)-either the type of construction projects completed by Siemens or Siemens’ direct competitors, or non-construction projects completed by other Siemens divisions.
- Other requirements:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must have strong verbal and written skills in English.
- Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States, and will not require employer-sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Preferred education: Master’s Degree in Business Administration.
- Other preferences:
- Certified Public Accountant certificate.
- Proficiency with related SAP modules.
- Siemens commercial project experience.
Siemens Smart Infrastructure (SI) is shaping the market for intelligent, adaptive infrastructure for today and the future. It addresses the pressing challenges of urbanization and climate change by connecting energy systems, buildings and industries. SI provides customers with a comprehensive end-to-end portfolio from a single source – with products, systems, solutions, and services from the point of power generation all the way to consumption. With an increasingly digitalized ecosystem, it helps customers thrive and communities progress while contributing toward protecting the planet. SI creates environments that care. Siemens Smart Infrastructure has its global headquarters in Zug, Switzerland, and has around 71,000 employees worldwide.
- Siemens is a globally diversified engineering powerhouse: an opportunity such as this one can open doors to engineering practices and businesses new to you, preparing you for a great future with potential in so many types of fields—sustainability, energy, medical technologies, to name a few—in almost any location you ever dreamed of exploring.
- Competitive compensation.
- Excellent health, dental, and vision plans with many options from which to choose.
- All employees receive Life Insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability coverage.
- 401(k) match dollar for dollar up to 6% of gross salary.
- Education and tuition reimbursement programs available.
- Extensive product training and professional career development.
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, domestic partner status, disability, weight, height or AIDS/HIV status, protected veteran or military status, other categories protected by federal, state, or local law, and regardless of whether the qualified applicants are individuals with disabilities.
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.