Working under the Director of Communications, the Communications and Content Manager is primarily responsible for the Mayor’s social media channels, as well as content production of various citywide communications including writing and editing of web copy, press releases, correspondence and speeches.
This position works collaboratively with Information Management Services team and performs duties in a high demand, deadline-driven environment. Position oversees content creation for Salt Lake City Corporation and the Mayor’s Office to be used for television, radio, print and online.
This position requires the use and knowledge of various media production tools and software programs used to incorporate creative ideas while undertaking an assortment of projects. Copywriting and copy-editing experience are also required as is the ability to incorporate and transform strategic messaging into effective means of communication. The position requires the ability and skills necessary to work with the general public as well as the media in a positive, friendly and professional manner.
This is an appointed, at-will position without tenure and exempt from the career service system.
- Create and distribute various communications through electronic means and networks. Collaborate with the Mayor’s Office Communications Department and across City departments with team representatives to develop a voice and create key messages for citywide projects and news. Regularly and consistently update online content including the website, blog, and social media outlets.
- Assist in creating and driving outreach campaigns for public engagement and writing copy to clearly explain City projects and initiatives, opportunities for public input, and the process involved for project approval, initiation and completion.
- Create, maintain, proofread and update content for SLCGOV and Salt Lake City Mayor’s office websites. Develop and design content around new ideas for the websites. Web-related duties may include posting press releases, announcements and other public information, and incorporating graphics and page design that keep the site accurate, consistent, current and dynamic.
- Manage requests and inquiries from various media outlets; schedule interviews and coordinate communication efforts from within the Mayor’s Office and with external representatives.
- Coordinate and manage multiple media projects with an attention to detail and associated deadlines.
- Coordinate department requests for content development. Collaborate with city staff, as needed, to write and edit press releases, literature, and web copy in a timely and professional manner.
- Collaborate with Communications Director to conceptualize an assortment of projects. Collect, organize and design support materials that may include newsletters, blogs and collateral multimedia production.
- Conduct regular research of relevant blogs, micro blogs, list serves, events and RSS feeds, and collaborate with IMS Department to provide reporting onsite metrics and usability components of the SLCGOV and Mayor’s Office website.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communication or Public Relations plus 3-5 years of related work experience. Related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
- Effective writing, editing, copywriting and copy editing experience are required, in addition to effective verbal communication skills. Demonstrated ability to follow instructions, multi-task, meet deadlines and perform duties in a high demand work environment.
- Experience with current design, graphics and web publishing software, as well as social media, blogs, wikis, podcasts including: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flicker, and other governmental sites, etc.
- Background knowledge of HTML web-based languages
- Ability to use media production-related software programs such as Front Page, Dream Weaver and Adobe Design Suites, as well as desktop publishing, spreadsheet and word processing software necessary to complete related projects.