Communications Manager, AAEM
CLIENT ASSOCIATION: American Academy of Emergency Medicine
REPORTS TO: Senior Communications Manager, AAEM
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Exempt
GENERAL SUMMARY (Minimum 37.5 hours/week)
The Communications Manager is responsible for assisting with the implementation of the annual marketing plan, daily communications tasks, and digital projects. They also serve as the staff editor of AAEM’s social media sites and content to optimize the user experience and properly communicate AAEM’s messaging and brand.
- Manage all aspects of the AAEM social media assuring quality of content and maintain the editorial calendar. This includes Facebook pages, Twitter and Instagram accounts, blogs, and other social media.
- Develop and manage social media content to keep information accurate, relevant and innovative (scientific and non-scientific in nature) with the assistance of AAEM staff, volunteer content experts or committee members as appropriate.
- Develop key metrics for social media and website analytics and supply updated data for staff and board reports.
- In collaboration with the Senior Communications Manager, implement AAEM’s annual marketing plan including determining appropriate target audiences, objectives and desired outcomes and manage creation of promotional materials.
- Schedule, record audio, edit, and publish the AAEM and RSA podcast series. Create new RSS feeds as needed.
- Assist in the creation, design and scheduling of email messages. Manage the weekly AAEM Insights eNewsletter and advertising approvals.
- Assist with website editing and updates using the content management system.
- Assist in recording, editing, and publishing video content that can be recorded for later distribution.
- Assist in the creation of content and ideas for print and other advertising materials.
- Carry out daily editorial functions for AAEM including copy editing.
- In conjunction with the Senior Communications Manager, seek out opportunities to promote AAEM’s educational content and position AAEM as a leader in the field of emergency medicine. Serve as staff liaison to committees and chapter divisions as assigned. This includes taking meeting minutes and distributing them to the committee chair, board liaison and committee members, and assisting with projects and tasks.
- Staff exhibit booths, Oral Board Review Courses, and other in-person events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Excellent written and oral communication skills with exceptional interpersonal skills. Attention to detail and accuracy. Advanced computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office, email software, and website content management. Knowledge of medical, scientific and research terminology, and scientific literature searches is preferred. Excellent proofreading skills and prior video/audio editing are preferable. Strong organizational and planning skills. Ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous tasks and project timelines and demonstrated abilities to meet multiple deadlines. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Frequent physical demands include: communication by seeing, talking, listening and writing; sitting; standing; walking; and using keyboard for word processing needs. Equipment typically utilized frequently includes computer, telephone, copier, fax, printer, and calculator.
BUSINESS NEEDS & TRAVEL REQUIRED: Some early morning, evening, and weekend work may be required in our home office and while traveling out-of-town to meet client needs. Travel will be two to four weeks per year.