The Digital Marketing Specialist is responsible for planning, executing and monitoring strategies for search and social-media marketing, search-engine optimization, and other engagement tactics to grow the online audience and readership of the Catholic Courier and its sister publication, El Mensajero Católico.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, creative, and driven innovator to develop and implement digital marketing strategies. We are NOT seeking applicants whose expertise is primarily or exclusively in graphic design, art, photography, journalism/writing or sales.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: planning and implementing marketing strategies for catholiccourier.com and elmensajerorochester.com; SEO and search-engine marketing; promoting social-media posts related to content produced by the Editorial Department; closely monitoring website analytics; data analysis and reporting; email marketing; ad-server management; and supporting advertising staff in the sale of digital ads.
- Take ownership of digital promotion, overall marketing, and SEO/SEM functions.
- Ideate campaigns to engage and acquire new website users using various techniques and approaches; update regularly for seasonal and other changes.
- Work closely with Editorial Department to implement best practices for SEO headlines and copy.
- Analyze and report website analytics as well as helpful insights to staff and the Editorial Committee of the papers’ Board of Directors; monitor and report success of digital marketing initiatives, providing campaign analysis and opportunities to optimize results.
- Help Editorial Department increase e-newsletter engagement by testing alternate subject lines, content selection, graphics and layout; develop strategies to maximize email engagement and response.
- Track trending topics, identify and promote content that is spiking; make editorial staff aware of types of content going viral so they can evaluate benefits of further or related coverage; serve as advocate and coach for maximizing content engagement.
- Actively build inbound links to content from authoritative sites; encourage editorial staff members to garner links from all entities featured in their articles and photos.
- Develop promotional campaigns across social-media channels – Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc. – and grow engagement with the target audience and influencers; build and nurture a community of social-media influencers to expand reach.
- Research archival content that may relate to current/recent coverage and create cross links as appropriate.
- Develop and manage digital advertising campaigns across search engines, social media, and various web channels to drive readership and e-newsletter subscriptions.
- Continuously adapt SEO, SEM and other digital marketing tactics to ever-changing Google algorithms.
- Keep current on the latest digital/search trends and opportunities, incorporating them into ongoing campaign management.
- Foster awareness among parishes of the range of content on the Catholic Courier and El Mensajero websites and the effectiveness of the sites’ reach; market websites and e-newsletters to parishes and parishioners.
- Encourage/facilitate implementation of Catholic Courier web links on parish websites and in bulletins, using RSS feeds as applicable.
- Grow e-newsletter distribution lists and/or import data from diocesan or parish lists to those of the Catholic Courier and El Mensajero.
- Manage AdSense and YouTube Partner Program accounts, ensuring that only appropriate and non-competing ads appear alongside Catholic Courier and El Mensajero content.
- Manage ad-server inventory; set up/manage digital campaigns for advertising clients.
- Provide sales staff with web and email statistics, as well as support and guidance on using data in client presentations to increase digital ad sales.
- Handle digital and print “house” advertising.
- Commitment to advancing the mission and objectives of the newspapers’ parent company, the Rochester Catholic Press Association; familiarity with current issues and common terminology related to the church; responsible and respectful approach to Catholic teachings, culture and sensibilities; facility in communicating appropriately with church leaders and parishioners at various levels.
- College degree with specialization in digital marketing and/or digital communications; equivalent experience in field may be considered in lieu of a relevant degree.
- Excellent rapport and relationship-building skills.
- Well-versed in digital marketing, channels, and digital data analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and leadership skills.
- Strong project-management and problem-solving skills; ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Expertise in direct marketing, social media, display advertising, ad-serving, search engine marketing, email marketing and digital-advertising platforms (Google Ads, Facebook Business Manager, etc.).
- High-level proficiency in WordPress, Google Analytics, Google AdSense, Google AdManager and SEM tools as well as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; basic working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop or similar app.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 – $25.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
In accord with NYS HERO Act plans, workstations are socially distanced and common areas are regularly sanitized. We also are prepared for a temporary shift to fully remote work if recommended or ordered by state and local officials.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Rochester, NY 14624: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- SEO/SEM, analytics and social-media marketing: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location