About Cooper Machinery Services
Cooper Machinery Services provides natural gas compression equipment and services to customers globally in the Oil & Gas, Power, Transportation, and Marine sectors. With a proud heritage dating back to 1833, Cooper Machinery Services is the OEM for legendary product lines including Cooper-Bessemer™, Ajax™, Superior™, Gemini, TSI, CSI, Enterprise, and Joy. Headquartered in Houston, TX, but with commercial and services hubs around the world, Cooper Machinery Services provides world-class services to more than 22,000 units in its installed base.
Our strength is our people. Each employee plays an integral role in our success and growth. With a commitment to our vision that strong relationships drive strong results and better business, our people make Cooper Machinery Services legendary.
This is a direct and permanent hire position with Cooper Machinery Services in Houston, TX, reporting to the Vice President of Information Technology.
IT Security Specialist Role
Unlike many other internal IT department roles, this one is guaranteed not to bore nor to disappoint the right candidate! We are a company with extremely forward IT posture and utilize some of the latest and greatest cloud solutions in the market with business-friendly cyber security front and center. The ideal candidate for this position would by necessity of our technologies and needs remain technically well rounded and educated.
We are seeking a team-spirited and dedicated IT Security Specialist who will be an integral part of our success story by collaborating with organizational stakeholders to secure information technology systems for the organization and helping us with day-to-day cyber security tasks, reducing organizational risk by rapidly remediating active attacks in our IT environment, advising on improvements to threat protection practices, and referring violations of organizational policies to appropriate stakeholders.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to threat management, monitoring, and response by using a variety of security solutions across our IT environment. This role primarily investigates, responds to, and hunts for threats using Microsoft Azure Sentinel, Azure Defender, Microsoft 365 Defender, and third-party security products. Since the IT Security Specialist consumes the operational output of these tools, they are also a critical stakeholder in the configuration and deployment of these technologies.
This role will be based in our Houston, TX headquarters and may require occasional travel. We currently anticipate no more than 25% per year. This travel may be within the U.S. or globally.
Desired Experience & Qualifications
We are looking for a sharp individual that enjoys a fast-paced environment with competing priorities, with proven and excellent time management, prioritization, and communications skills, and would not mind the bit of paperwork that comes with the role to account for their activities and documentation of their technical approach to each incident, request, change, or project in which they might be involved.
This person must have a high school degree or GED. Associate degrees and specific certifications relating to cyber security will be given preference, however, a bachelor’s degree is neither a determining factor, nor required for this position. We expect this person to have had at least 5 years of Information Technology professional work experience in any industry, with at least 3 years of that being in Information Security.
- Daily monitoring of existing security tools such as those listed above.
- Review and follow-up of level 2 alerts and escalation of more complex alerts.
- Identification of gaps that are causing reoccurring issues and advise on procedures or tools to solve them.
- Participate in incident response by providing requested data and investigating additional leads.
- Maintain solid knowledge of cyber security issues via RSS feeds, security blogs, and podcasts.
- Increase/Maintain knowledge of security disciplines through on-the-job training and online security courses with the preference of obtaining certificates.
- Determine the impact of current threats to our security posture.
- Maintain up-to-date baselines for the secure configuration and operations of all in-place devices, whether they be under direct control (i.e. security tools) or not (i.e. workstations, servers, network devices, etc.).
- Maintain operational configurations of all in-place security solutions as per the established baselines.
- Monitor all in-place security solutions for efficient and appropriate operations.
- Review logs and reports of all in-place devices, whether they be under direct control (i.e., security tools) or not (i.e., workstations, servers, network devices, etc.). Interpret the implications of that activity and devise plans for appropriate resolution.
- Participate in investigations into problematic activity.
- Participate in the design and execution of vulnerability assessments, penetration tests, and security audits.
- Provide on-call support for end users for all in-place security solutions.
- User account maintenance.
- Help with mergers and acquisitions on their cyber security integration.
- Create technical documentation for specific situations, especially involving support of our applications or end points, which can later help our helpdesk better perform their tasks.
- Handle phishing and spam reports per company policies.
- Manage all cyber security incidents.
- Use of orchestration and management solutions such as MDMs or MEMs.
- Evaluate new cyber security threats and IT trends and develop effective security controls.
- Maintain Active Directory and group policies for our domain.
- Evaluate potential security breaches, coordinates response, and recommend corrective actions.
- Must be able to work weekends or nights, as required, to meet workload demands and production on-call duties or emergencies.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication, organizational, and soft skills
- Objective analytical and problem-solving skills
- Cisco ESA Cloud
- Security awareness training, spam/phishing internal campaigns, and spam/phishing fighting skills
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft EOP
- Microsoft Azure Identity Management and Protection
- Microsoft Azure Sentinel
- Microsoft Azure Defender
- Microsoft 365 Defender
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations