Librarian II-Electronic & Media Resources
Educational Support Services – 900 Watervliet Shaker Road
This position serves as part of the electronic resources, media operations and computer technology team in the School Library System. An employee in this class assists in coordination, administration and policy implementation for data searching to insure efficient operation. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Library Director. Does related work as required.
A. Possession of a Master’s Degree in Library Science from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or registered by the New York State Education Department, and
B. Two (2) years of professional library experience.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.
1. Collaborates in the integration of new technologies.
2. Participates in the planning and operations of the School Library System.
3. Participates in the evaluation and selection of media for acquisition.
4. May perform complex informational, reference, and referral services or cataloging through use of automation.
5. Monitors operation of library computer systems, networks, and community access network.
6. Evaluates the effectiveness of the library’s media/electronic services.
7. Plans and supports special and/or long-term projects.
8. Recommends electronic and computer plans for future services.
9. Participates in staff selection and training.
10. May teach basic computer classes to library patrons and staff.
11. Promotes a virtual learning environment in support of teaching and learning.
12. Represents the library at community and group meetings.
13. Keeps informed of professional developments and attends professional meetings;
14. Assists with library website development and design.
15. Thorough knowledge of modern principles and practices of library science.
16. Good knowledge of on-line database systems.
17. Good knowledge of the application of computer technology to library operations.
18. Good knowledge of web-based software, including but not limited to RSS feeds, blogs, wikis, etc.
19. Good knowledge of modern library organizations, procedures, goals and services.
20. Good knowledge of library administration policies.
21. Ability to carry out library policies.
22. Ability to comprehend users’ needs quickly and accurately.
23. Ability to train library staff in the use of electronic systems of information search and retrieval.
24. Ability to acquire new knowledge of library and computer technology.
25. Ability to direct and lead the work of others.
26. Ability to express ideas clearly orally and in writing.
27. Ability to work well in a multicultural and diverse environment.
28. Evidence of excellent customer relationship skills, successful teamwork and service orientation.
29. Evidence of organizational skills.
30. Physical conditions commensurate with the position.
As soon as possible
November 26, 2021 (or until position is filled)
$43,683 – $58,677 prorated to amount of service rendered
The selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
Further Information Contact:
Capital Region BOCES, 900 Watervliet-Shaker Road, Albany NY 12205
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
October 29, 2021