The Office of Strategic Communications is recruiting to fill an opening for a Media and Public Relations Manager. The Media and Public Relations Manager works to generate recognition and support for the University’s initiatives, programs and achievements to its various stakeholders, both inside and outside of the institution. The Media and Public Relations Manager is an ambassador for Linfield University, responding to inquiries from local, regional, national and international news organizations. The Media and Public Relations Manager works closely with University and Strategic Communications leadership to create a strategic annual plan to communicate the University’s priorities and accomplishments through the external media and Linfield-owned channels. This includes pitching potential stories, liaising with reporters on deadline, distributing press releases to promote events and accomplishments, and overseeing the Linfield’s public and internal-facing news channels. Review of applications will begin immediately and will close on September 1, 2021.
About Linfield University
Linfield University is an independent, coeducational comprehensive university that combines a strong emphasis on the liberal arts with a commitment to professional and interdisciplinary programs. Linfield offers high quality academic programs and emphasizes strong support for individual students with a favorable student-faculty ratio of 11 to 1. The University is historically affiliated with the American Baptist Churches, U.S.A. and is committed to the principles of academic and religious freedom. Linfield is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The McMinnville, Oregon campus includes 79 buildings on 189 acres. A second campus, home to the School of Nursing, is located in northeast Portland. The Portland, Oregon campus includes 11 buildings on 20 acres. A third program, Linfield University Online and Continuing Education, offers students the opportunity to pursue coursework, degrees, and certificates online. Enrollment totals more than 1,900 with students coming from 24 states and 23 countries. Linfield is ranked 1st among liberal arts colleges in the Pacific Northwest for ethnic diversity of students according to the 2018 US News & World Report. Linfield offers a generous comprehensive benefit plan, which includes healthcare, retirement, life insurance, and short/long term disability. PLUS 28 PTO days per year, 7 paid holidays, and Winter Break. Another amazing and valuable benefit for employees, as well as their spouses/legal domestic partners and dependents, is tuition remission. Additional perks include 20% merchandise & clothing discount at our Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and access to Microsoft Office 365 on your personal devices.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design plans to effectively communicate University messaging around strategic initiatives.
- Gather information, write, and distribute news announcements, press releases, memos, story and expert pitches, feature stories, magazine stories and web content.
- Write, edit, proofread, and produce “Linfield Ahead,” the University’s bi-weekly internal newsletter, as well as other internal communications methods.
- Develop and foster positive, effective relationships with local, regional and national media. Serve as the primary contact for all news and media-related functions.
- Recognize trends in higher education and capitalize on opportunities for Linfield to be featured in ways that support the University’s mission and strategic goals. This includes creating any niche media strategies (i.e. wine studies) with targeted outreach plans.
- Proactively generate, research, write and pitch stories to media that target and result in top-tier visibility.
- Manage the online presence of media relations. Maintain an expert guide. Post and update news at the Linfield home page. Manage the online press kit.
- Work with individual faculty and University leadership to develop and implement individual outreach plans based on their research and expertise, providing media training as needed.
- Provide support to departments when writing press releases and advertising materials for special projects and events.
- Coordinate press conferences and respond promptly to media inquiries, providing excellent customer service.
- Monitor Linfield’s media presence. Track the resulting media from press releases and institutional press mentions, providing reports to Strategic Communications and University leadership on a regular basis.
- Measure and evaluate internal communications methods, making recommendations for changes and implementing new programs.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of the University’s crisis communications strategy, evaluating and making adjustments as needed. Exercise expert judgment in identifying negative or threatening media issues or inquiries and exhibit leadership in developing strategic and timely responses.
- Ensure consistent communications quality by incorporating Linfield’s identity, messaging and marketing elements into news and media-related pieces.
- Assume additional communications-related duties as needed to further the mission of the department.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or a relevant discipline and five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience demonstrating:
- Excellent research, interviewing, writing, editing, and proofing skills, including knowledge of AP style guidelines.
- Established, demonstrated media contacts in the Pacific Northwest and national media.
- Experience with and literacy in media relations technology; including, but not limited to, RSS feeds, blogs, podcasts, database management, social networks, search engine optimization and gathering and distributing digital content in text, audio and video formats.
- Must be self-motivated and strategic, with the ability to develop and follow through with ideas and projects.
- Superior news judgment, persuasive communication skills, proactive and outgoing personality.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to plan and execute integrated communications strategies and projects.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with an eye for detail.
- Excellent communication, public speaking, interpersonal and customer relations skills, including the ability to work well with colleagues at all levels of the university.
- Experience with identity marketing and adhering to an institutional style guide.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Must possess valid Oregon driver’s license, have a good driving record, and ability to become and remain certified as a driver of University vehicles.
- At least 5-7 years experience working in a public relations and/or journalistic environment.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in an office environment and is sedentary in nature. Constant sitting, hearing, seeing, talking and repetitive movement of the wrists, hands and fingers. Frequent standing, walking, and climbing stairs. Work may also require walking and standing in conjunction with travel to and attendance at meetings and conferences away from the worksite, which requires operation of a motor vehicle and valid driver’s license. Occasional exposure to weather elements when walking from building to building on campus. Occasional pushing, pulling, carrying, or lifting up to 25 pounds.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will close on Wednesday September 1, 2021. To apply, please complete the online application process and attach the following documents:
IMPORTANT COVID-19 INFORMATION:
In order to create the healthiest face-to-face learning environment possible, Linfield University is requiring that all faculty, staff, and students to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees should be fully vaccinated no later than two weeks prior to arriving on campus. Employees must submit their documentation at least seven days prior to arrival on campus. People who have tested positive for COVID-19 will still be required to show proof of vaccination. Linfield’s new COVID-19 vaccine policy, requirements for compliance and exemptions, and information on how to upload documentation is available at https://linfield.edu/coronavirus-update/vaccine.html.
We Value Diversity: Linfield University is actively engaged in promoting, advancing, and confirming our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a diverse and vibrant Linfield contributes to academic excellence and critical thinking. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought. All candidates are encouraged to address how their professional and lived experience, scholarship, teaching, mentorship, and/or service will build on our diversity and inclusion efforts.