Our values: Respect, Trust, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Are you an IT professional interested in a challenging position with an employer who offers personal flexibility including alternate work schedules, compressed work weeks, and telework options; a modern work environment including sit/stand workstations, touch down pods, and contemporary equipment; and a total compensation package that improves your medical, dental, life, and long-term disability benefits, and provides access to perks including deferred compensation programs for retirement, dependent care, and more?
Look no further!
We are seeking a talented web designer and front-end application developer to join our User Experience Team as the technical lead for our agency’s external and internal websites. This is a unique opportunity to work with project managers, business leaders, designers and developers, bridging the gap between graphic design and technical implementation. You lead the design conversations that determine how our applications look and you develop, maintain, test, and troubleshoot user interfaces and the supporting front-end code across a variety of platforms.
In this mission-critical role, you are our agency subject matter expert, providing leadership and expert-level consultation in assessing and resolving usability issues regarding new technology, accessibility, and mobile/responsive coding and design. You also guide, consult, and train content owners and users, and create and enhance standards as industry best practices and related technology changes.
Our ideal candidate has expertise in applying solutions to web design issues, troubleshooting, and testing for quality assurance, accessibility, and usability. They are passionate about building web solutions that are resilient, secure and scalable to function in an intensive business environment, and have the ability to optimize a design for all devices and defining how a website looks as well as how it works.
As of July 1, 2019, a new IT professional structure for the State of Washington will go into effect. This position will be classified in the Application Development job family at the Journey level. The salary posted is effective on July 1, 2019. The top of the salary range for this position is $8035 per month (step M).
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Applicants who possess the following qualifications may be referred to the hiring manager:
- Three years of experience integrating HTML with server-side coding environments such as ASP.NET, PHP, JSP or ColdFusion (ASP.NET preferred) or experience in web application development or server-side scripting.
- Three years of experience researching and reporting recommendations on current technology trends.
Applicants who also possess the following may receive additional consideration by the hiring manager:
- Certification, Associates Degree, or Bachelor’s Degree in Web Development or Web Design.
- Experience working with databases and/or knowledge of SQL.
- Experience with responsive mobile design, Ajax or related technology, the document Object Model (DOM), XML, XSLT, and related technologies.
- Experience creating and managing RSS feeds.
- Experience code editing using Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server or similar.
- Experience using web page design software to develop sophisticated websites with navigation, cascading style sheets, and a semantic file structure.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of website usability concepts, testing, and reporting. Experience with and/or knowledge of accessibility principles and methods.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of quality assurance testing and techniques.
Make a difference. Join our team!
We value diverse perspectives and life experiences. We employ and serve people of all backgrounds including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans.
We are one of the most public facing state agencies and the second largest revenue generating agency in Washington State. We regularly interact with over 6 million Washingtonians and collect nearly $3.3 billion in taxes and fees annually. We know our services are essential to our customers’ ability to live, work, drive, and thrive. We take this responsibility seriously and are committed to ensuring every resident has equitable and meaningful access to our services.
We serve all the people of Washington State with pride and are developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents. Come join us in changing the way government delivers services, and help build a legacy of commitment to and excellence in diversity, equity, and inclusion!
Click here for more information about our agency culture and diversity, equity, and inclusion plans; and to learn about the many additional benefits we offer!
This position is included in a bargaining unit represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE). For membership questions, contact the local Union Representative.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, the following steps are required:
- Select the large Apply button at the top of this job announcement. If you haven’t already done so, you will need to create an applicant profile.
- Ensure the work history section of your applicant profile is current and thorough, clearly stating any and all qualifications you possess related to this specific position.
- Upload and attach your cover letter specific to this position and your current resume. Your materials must also include three professional references with name, title, and current contact information. References may be listed in your applicant profile, included on your resume, or uploaded as a separate attachment. Additional references are accepted.
- Answer all of the supplemental questions and be sure that all of your responses are clearly reflected and can be verified in your application materials.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application process, contact the recruiter listed below prior to when this job posting closes AND before you submit your application.
Veteran Preference Notice
To take advantage of veteran preference, please do the following:
- Email a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22 or USDVA signed verification of service letter to HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov
- Use a subject line of “VET for DO ADJ 19-114”
- Include your name as it appears on your application in careers.wa.gov
Military Spouse Preference Notice
To take advantage of military spouse preference, please do the following:
- Notify us of your military spouse status by email at HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov
- Use a subject line of “MS for DO ADJ 19-114″
- Include your name as it appears on your application in careers.wa.gov
The candidate pool certified from this recruitment may be used to fill future similar vacancies for up to six months.
The Washington State Department of Licensing is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex (including gender identity), marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process, during the recruitment process, or who need this job announcement in an alternative format, may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-902-4000 or may email HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our ASL interpreter via Video Phone at 360.339.7344.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Anu Rao at 360.902.4061 or email HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov. Please use a subject line that includes “DO ADJ 19-114”