Design, develop, implement and support applications for the College which includes but not limited to the extranet and intranet sites, mobile platform and other online services. Lead design and development throughout the project life cycle including application architecture, design input, site layout/user interface, database design/programming, and development.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities (include, but not limited to)
- Design, build, and maintain user interfaces from various environments from provided design concepts using standard web best practices.
- Perform application and environment updates.
- Gather feedback from stakeholders, functional and technical staff to write, design, and edit web page content which meets technical requirements and specifications. Confer with stakeholders, functional and technical staff to prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, develop content criteria, and choose solutions. Analyze user needs to determine technical requirements.
- Understand, implement and maintain back-up life-cycles and best practices.
- Evaluate code to ensure that it is valid/secure, is properly structured, meets industry standards and is compatible with browsers, devices, security protocols and/or operating systems.
- Develop or validate test routines and schedules to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types. Identify problems uncovered by testing or customer feedback, and correct problems.
- Build and utilize user interface applications and back-end databases using various programming, scripting languages and best practices.
- Determine necessary new technologies to utilize, such as browsers, languages, and plug-ins, based on the need of the college.
- Conceptualize long-term needs of the development environments and make suggestions on creating standards for the platforms and security needs.
- Maintain understanding of current technologies or programming practices through continuing education, reading, or participation in professional conferences, workshops, or groups.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of:
- Project management methodologies
- Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) concepts and best practices
- building server-based applications in a distributed environment
- Relational database administration, design, and programming techniques, including SQL
- Web content management systems
- Server administration functions for Linux and Windows server environments
- UX design and layout concepts
- Programming concepts, methods, and languages related to web development with GitHub.
- Open source web applications such as Grails, Groovy, Eclipse and other Java based platforms as well as API work and RESTful calls
- Web technologies in two or more of the following; PHP, Java, Python, Angular, C, C++, C#, RSS Feeds, HTML, XML, Java Script and various web browser environments
- Effective interpersonal communication skills – oral, written and listening
- Ability to apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to work processes especially in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously
- Proficient in presentation and facilitation skills (group and one-on-one)
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal (staff, management, personnel) and external contacts (clients and vendors). Strong customer service skills to build rapport with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form; ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team and/or with minimal supervision
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex technical and programming problems
- Ability to prioritize work and adapt to changing priorities
Education and experience required:
- Associate Degree in a related field
- Three years of experience consisting of two years of experience with PHP, Java, C# and HTML/CSS
The Web Developer supports the Information Technology Services department will be available by October 1, 2020.
All candidates (both internal and external) must attach the following documentation to the online job application. Applications that do not have these attachments may not be considered further:
- Cover letter
- Transcripts (diploma and/or unofficial/official transcripts)
Salary is set to the midpoint of the salary range and listed at the 2019/2020 rates. Salary offered will be based on years of credited experience and internal equity.
Hours are based on a year-round calendar, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m Monday-Friday.
This position requires testing for technical knowledge and will take place on September 9, 2020.
Selected candidates will be invited for interview and a 10 minute presentation showcasing a project will be required on Tuesday, September 15, 2020.