Director Cell Fermentation Facility
Staff & Executive – Research (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory)
Waksman Inst of Microbiology
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root more than 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Director of Cell Fermentation Facility to report to the Executive Director for Administration and Director of Waksman Institute. This position will lead a team of scientists by setting appropriate objectives and priorities, overcoming obstacles and delivering timely results. The Fermentation Facility is a self-sustaining, research and production pilot plant facility primarily serving the pharmaceutical industry and also meeting the needs of Rutgers University labs and other nonprofit organizations. The key duties of this position are the following:
• Optimizes resources for the design, execution, and analysis of cell culture experiments , to complete the execution of the experiment and the interpretation of studies.
• Sets high standards to assure compliance with Rutgers directives including safety, staff training and quality systems documentation.
• Represents Waksman Institute during regulatory inspections.
• Serves as liaison for technical and operation improvements, investigation resolution, process validation and laboratory oversight.
• Invests in the growth of the group, including current and future leadership, through assignment of development opportunities, coaching, mentoring and recognition.
• Establishes high performance standards, defines clear accountability, and leads by developing, adopting and supporting continuous improvement.
• Completes other work consistent with a basic understanding of the mission, vision, role, and goals of Waksman Institute and The Fermentation Facility.
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
Annual Minimum Salary
Annual Mid Range Salary
Annual Maximum Salary
Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment
Staff – 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility
Minimum Education and Experience
• Requires a Ph.D. or equivalent experience with over 10 years directly related industry experience, documented by a solid history if technical accomplishments in fermentation or cell culture process development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Must have experience in the design, modification and optimization of fermentation and cell cultures, with a strong practical knowledge of the relates technologies and clear awareness of current industry trends.
• Must have experience in development and technology transfer of processes for late-stage and commercial biologic manufacturing.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Preferences include development experience with one or more of the following platforms: iOS SDKs and environments including XCode, and/or Android SDKs and environments including Android Studio.
• Familiar with Vendor Interface, User Interface Design, Adobe Illustrator.
• Experience with Objective C, Swift, XML / JSON / RSS feeds, and GIS /electronic mapping also desirable.
• NBS BioCommand; NBS fermentors- BioFlo 1000L, 610s, 510s; Sharples centrifuge; TFF .
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Must be able to climb ladder and lift 50 lbs.
• Must be able to kneel and bend in small areas.
Posting Open Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus
Busch (RU-New Brunswick)
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is university policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment regardless of their race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. As an institution, we value diversity of background and opinion, and prohibit discrimination or harassment on the basis of any legally protected class in the areas of hiring, recruitment, promotion, transfer, demotion, training, compensation, pay, fringe benefits, layoff, termination or any other terms and conditions of employment. For additional information please see the Non-Discrimination Statement at the following web address: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/non-discrimination-statement