The Dow AgroSciences
(DAS) Seeds, Traits and Oils (ST&O) Quality Control Team is seeking a
Germination Laboratory Technician
to support the new DAS Seed Quality Laboratory in
West Lafayette, Indiana
. Under the guidance of the Germination Laboratory Coordinator, the purpose of this job is to enable routine and non-routine seed and seedling analyses for corn, sunflower, soybean, sorghum and cotton. The Germination Lab Technician is responsible for producing analytical data which will be used to evaluate the release of products. The role is also responsible for enabling process and/or product optimization and problem prevention, ensure analytical systems are performing optimally, and evaluate and apply effective technologies.
Key responsibilities of the Germination Lab Technician will include:
Follow EH&S and Operating Discipline/Quality System procedures and practices.
Actively participate in laboratory EH&S trainings, programs and initiatives.
Perform routine and non-routine analyses of physical purity, germination, vigor, and herbicide tolerance, according to established testing methods and protocols.
Facilitate improvements to process and methodology where appropriate.
Assist in organization and scheduling of analytical activities to ensure service requests are accurately run within the allotted time and testing priorities are met.
Communicate with Germination Lab Coordinator and stakeholders regarding identified lab process or seed quality issues.
Participate and/or facilitate laboratory training and proficiency testing programs.
Develop response plans for and schedule non-routine analytical requests.
Using relevant tools, evaluate validity of data, interpret results and take appropriate action including initiation of retesting, re-sampling or root cause investigation.
Utilize laboratory data handling systems to document, communicate and archive results.
Monitor quality critical testing equipment; perform calibration, verification and maintenance of systems as necessary.
Document out-of-tolerance occurrences and corrective actions per the laboratories quality management system.
Network with other technical people to share technology and to leverage problem solving and prevention expertise.
Train peers in use of analytical systems and EH&S procedures.
Contribute to value creation by continuous improvement of procedures in the analytical work processes and related tools and performance metrics.
Facilitate supervision of contract labor during day to day operation of the germination lab.
- High attention to detail.
- Assumes personal ownership and accountability for projects, goals, and outcomes; independently plans and executes own work to ensure completion of individual objectives.
- Demonstrates flexibility, self-management, and ability to multi-task while working under critical deadlines.
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and a professional work ethic.
- Effective team player.
- Ability to establish rapport with others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Seeks to continually improve efficiency and effectiveness in own work processes.
- Ability to quickly learn and retain process flows and systems that are complex and diverse.
- Ability to understand and follow written protocols.
- Strong computer skills and the ability to work efficiently in Microsoft Office Suite products, i.e. PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Completion of a 2-year associate’s degree in a biology, botany or agriculture related field of study (preferred)
- Or –
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a Seed testing facility.
Dow AgroSciences discovers, develops, and brings to market crop protection and plant biotechnology solutions for the growing world. Based in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, Dow AgroSciences is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company and had annual global sales of $6.4 billion in 2015. Learn more at
. Follow Dow AgroSciences on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+, or subscribe to our News Release RSS Feed.
Dow AgroSciences Offers:
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
- An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
- Employee stock ownership – and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at
may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.
North America-USA-Indiana-West Lafayette