This position has a considerable amount of impact on the overall Advancement functions of the University. As the position responsible for coordinating EOU’s “written” image, demonstrated experience in managing details and working with multiple clients in a time-sensitive workplace is important as this position must develop and maintain successful relationships with campus clients and present the University in the best light possible.
Position will identify key items, activities and events to promote via news release, social media, and other communications vehicles with the most efficient way to coordinate, produce and deliver these communications. The effect of these decisions impacts EOU’s visibility, credibility and position in the marketplace and community at-large.
40% NEWS & MEDIA SERVICES
– Serve as the initial point of contact for media.
– Coordinate media requests and interviews.
– Identify and write strategic news and feature stories about EOU activities, events & accomplishments.
– Develop and produce weekly EOU newsletter.
– Prepare hometown releases for students on deans list and other accomplishments.
– Provide photography for news events and special projects.
– Create and post content to news sections of EOU websites, RSS feeds and social media streams.
– Identify opportunities to increase local, regional and national media coverage of EOU .
– Edit submitted news items as needed.
30% CREATIVE CONTENT
– Generate content for EOU’s social media streams, websites and other online media.
– Write and/or edit copy for recruitment, development and other university print marketing materials.
– Write and develop branded digital and online messaging for recruitment, alumni, development and other marketing campaigns.
– Write and/or edit communications for other university leadership offices as assigned.
– Serve as project coordinator for The Mountaineer magazine.
– Develop and write institutional profiles for tourism, regional directories and memberships.
– Coordinate radio advertising efforts including script writing and station work.
– Coordinate and serve as art director for photo/video shoots as needed.
– Coordinate freelance writers and content development.
– Assigned publications and other marketing materials such as flyers, newsletter and small brochures.
– Serve as EOU Infoline manager, review, edit, prep and send messages as needed.
– Manage the online platform for EOU Alert emergency notification system.
– Assist with writing, execution and management of crisis and emergency communications.
– Manage and coordinate use of broadcast e-mail systems.
– Maintain university image catalogs and coordinate internal and external requests for photos.
10% OTHER DUTIES
– Participate in University events and serve on committees.
– Supervise, hire/fire assigned student positions.
– Assist with and monitor policies for marketing and social media.
– Assist with major University events and projects as a member of the Advancement team.
– Complete other projects as assigned by supervisor or VP.
– Submit regular project and status reports to supervisor and VP.
Three (3) years of experience in gathering information, writing/producing materials, presenting information to the public and public relations. One year of this experience must have included responsibility for press releases and interaction with the news media.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication or closely related field may substitute for up to two (2) years of the general experience.
Experience working in a University setting. Computer experience using Macintosh (preferred) and/or Windows and the following software: Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint), Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop), WordPress and other web development software and social media platforms (FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.). This position will use Associated Press Style Manual, The Chicago Manual of Style, Wired Style, EOU Style & Standards Guide, FERPA regulations, EOU and University Advancement policies, and general standards of confidentiality.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with a completed application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Please provide examples of your work which may include press releases, radio script, news or feature stories or creative content for print and digital marketing and promotions.