UCLA Newsroom: Media Relations & Public Outreach strategically manages content at www.newsroom.ucla.edu to promote UCLA. Regular items include research discoveries, student and faculty features, campus events and video reports. Many journalists subscribe to the site’s RSS feeds. Media Relations & Public Outreach also determines which news release to feature on the campus gateway, www.ucla.edu.
As a member of the UCLA Media Relations and Public Outreach team, the Senior Media Relations Representative serves as a general media relations officer while also providing media relations support to various academic units. Primary responsibilities include contributing content for the online UCLA Newsroom; identifying, writing, and placing news releases and feature stories in the Spanish- and English-language media; cultivating and maintaining key media contacts, especially among Spanish-language and Latino media; coordinating media interviews; assisting in campus crisis communications; developing media outreach strategies for Spanish-language and Latino audiences; and developing various social media crisis communications.
Percentage of Time:
Qualifications for Position
1. Minimum of 10 years full-time professional media relations experience, preferably in new media and/or television news.
2. Outstanding written and oral communications skills in English and Spanish.
3. Demonstrated record of successful national, regional and local media relations planning, implementation and placement.
4. Extensive media contacts at key Spanish-language and Latino outlets, California and national media; solid professional judgment and ability to work with journalists at all skill levels, including student journalists.
5. Demonstrated reporting and writing skills and ability to identify story placement opportunities and think strategically about communications, with special focus on Spanish-language and Latino media.
6. Demonstrated knowledge of news media operations and protocols, especially the news gathering process; strong experience in writing op-ed and analysis pieces.
7. Engaged, focused and flexible with a high level of initiative and energy; able to work cooperatively with a wide variety of internal and external constituents to achieve institutional goals.
8. Knowledge of other issues facing publicly assisted institutions of higher education with a demonstrated ability to anticipate public events that can be used to advance institutional objectives.
9. Demonstrated ability to successfully coordinate multiple ongoing tasks and responsibilities of varying degrees of complexity simultaneously and meet strict deadlines while responding effectively to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
10. Demonstrated experience with web and/or television technology and proven track record of implementing new technologies and communication tools.
11. Ability to work nights and weekends, when needed.
12. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education preferred.
Additional Posting Information
External Posting Date: